Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|The status of the patient and the 1504 Regimento
Santos, Luís Lisboa
|All Saints Royal Hospital
|Câmara Municipal de Lisboa e Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Lisboa
|In the early 16th century, when All Saints Royal Hospital was established, the royal power s political capacity wasgreatly diminished. The Crown exercised jurisdiction over a quarter of the Kingdom s territory, sharing authoritywith high ranking nobles, the military orders, ecclesiastical donees, lay people, and the communities. The total number of annual appointments of literate ministers did not exceed ten; the monarch was advised by two secretaries of the Chamber; the affairs of justice and grace involved half a dozen appellate judges and a dozen judges in the House of Justice; the treasury was in the hands of five superintendents; and security depended on enlistment for the militias and the bodies of orderlies. The six existing counties and the precariousness of the road networks illustrate the fragility of political communication and territorial organization. Regarding assistance, the post of Físico--mor [chief physician] did not yet exist (1521), nor that of Provedor-mor da Saúde [chief health purveyor] (1526), although the Lisbon Misericórdia [house of mercy] (1498) was already operating.
|Appears in Collections:
|DH - Artigos/Papers
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.